Hand-carved from a single piece of Kisii soapstone by African artisans, this contemporary sculpture features a representation of two lovers in a circle, each with one arm soaring overhead while their bodies form a heart.
- Measures approximately 8-inches tall.
- Due to the hand-carved nature, each piece may vary in size by up to a half an inch
- A natural stone, color variations will range from cream to pink to gold to gray in any single piece.
- Soapstone is a soft stone, making it easy to carve into many forms. Handle with care to avoid breakage.
- Each piece has gone through multiple stages of sanding and waxing, giving the soapstone a satiny finish.
- Socially responsible products that empower consumers to purchase according to their values and help alleviate global poverty.
- Fair Trade is an alternative business model that values safe workplaces, fair wages and community investment for factory employees.
Story Behind the Art:
Each sculpture is artfully hand-carved from a single piece of Kisii soapstone, found only in the hills of southwestern Kenya.
Mining the soapstone from surface hills is a labor-intensive process, using little to no machinery.
Laborers works with shovels, picks, axes and machetes to carve out large soapstone chucks, which are then carved into beautiful art.
About The Artisan:
Our Soapstone is carved by the artists of SMOLArt a group of artists who live in the rural village of Tabaka, Kenya, the heart of soapstone crafts.
The name, a shortened version of Small, Medium, and Large Artists, refers to the size of the soapstone products the artisans make, not their stature.
Established in 1990, SMOLArt is a member of the WFTO, and as such assures that the artisans are paid a fair price for their work.
In addition, the organization support community development by contributing to projects that improve living conditions, education, and health of their members and the village at large.