This intricate elephant chime is handcrafted from recycled iron, hand embossed, and painted with an antique copper finish and colorful accents.
This chime works well as indoor art or an outdoor garden chime. Elephant trunks pointed upward is thought to dispense energy, luck and prosperity!
Handmade by artisans at a family workshop in Behat, India, the metal working craft has been passed down from one generation to the next.
The workshop was established in 1976 and employs the artisan family and well-trained artisans from the area.
- Type: Wall Art or Garden Chime.
- Colors: rustic copper finish with handpainted red, green, gold accents.
- Materials: Recycled iron and jute string.
- Lacquer finish, lead free.
- Dimensions: Approx. 11 inches from top to bottom and 5 inches wide.
- Cone Bells are approximately 2.25 inches tall and just under 1 inch at the base.
- Chains measure approximately 5.75 inches to the bottom of the bell.
- Jute string for loop for hanging measures approximately 6 inches.
- Fair Trade.
Story Behind the Art:
The workshop buys sheets of scrap metal from dealers who collect it door-to-door. But don’t let that make you doubt the quality of their handicrafts; they ensure the scrap comes from acceptable material and transforms the trash into beautiful art.
The artisans specialize in a particular type of finishing known as “Rasai”. This is when a layer of brass is added onto the wrought iron to give the products a rustic and crude appearance.
Due to the handmade nature, slight variations in size, color, shape, pattern, or other characteristics may be evident. Each piece is truly a unique work of art, lovingly crafted by hand.
About the Artisans:
India has always been renowned for its rich silk fabrics, woodcarvings and carpets. However, many of these products are produced in conditions of abject poverty for the craftsmen, exploited by large producers and moneylenders.
Asha Handicrafts is a not-for-profit making body, based in Mumbai, India, working to promote Fair Trade and Fair Trade practices. As a member organization of the The World Fair Trade Organization, Asha Handicrafts ensures that the benefits of handicraft production reach the craftspeople themselves.