Your Cart is Currently Empty
Hand-carved from a single piece of Kisii soapstone by African artisans, this angel sculpture is paired with an eternal flame, representing the light that lives on and never dims. Beautiful home d cor and a touching sympathy gift to bring comfort.
- Measures approximately 5-inches tall by 3-inches wide. Due to the hand-carved nature, exact size may vary slightly.
- Color variations will range from cream to pink to gray to earthy gold in any single piece due to the nuances of natural stone.
- Soapstone is a soft stone, making it ideal for carving into many forms. Use care when handling to avoid breakage.
- Each piece has gone through multiple stages of sanding and waxing, giving the soapstone a satiny finish.
- Socially responsible products that empower consumers to purchase according to their values and help alleviate global poverty.
- Fair Trade is an alternative business model that values safe workplaces, fair wages and community investment for factory employees.
Story Behind the Artisans:
Our Soapstone is carved by the artists of SMOLArt, a group of artists who live in the rural village of Tabaka, Kenya, the heart of soapstone crafts. The name, a shortened version of Small, Medium, and Large Artists, refers to the size of the soapstone products the artisans make, not their stature.
Established in 1990, SMOLArt is a member of the WFTO, and as such assures that the artisans are paid a fair price for their work. In addition, the organization supports community development by contributing to projects that improve living conditions, education, and health of their members and the village at large.
Soapstone is mined from great pits in the area surrounding Kiisi, Kenya. The mined soapstone is then delivered to carvers who carve sculptures from the natural stone for the wholesale market, the color of which ranges from cream, to pink, to brown, to yellow, to black, to a marbling of all of them.
Once carved, the craftspeople smooth rough edges of the soapstone with sandpaper dipped in water and polish the piece to a high gloss or paint African motifs in brilliant colors with etched accents.
All of the soapstone products we sell are completely handmade. The tools consist of household items from screwdrivers, hand drills, to switchblades. "Pangas," sword-like tools usually used for cutting down vegetation, are used to cleave the stone in the mines.
How long will it take to get my order?
All of our products listed in our store are in stock. We ship them out within 2 business days from our location in Florida, US. Please allow 3 to 7 business days for your delivery.
How do you ship?
We ship by UPS Ground on larger items and USPS on smaller items. Shipping is free on orders of $75 or more to US addresses. Once shipped we will forward your tracking number.
Can I return the product?
Yes, you can return your product(s) within 30 days of your delivery date, but we hope you won't:) Our return location is Bonsai & Bear, 6450 Aragon Way, Unit 108, Fort Myers, FL 33966. Please forward your return tracking number so that we can verify receipt of your return. You can send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will issue your refund to the method of payment on your order within 5 business days. Please note that all items must be returned without damage and in "like new" condition to be eligible for a refund.